I hope this question has crossed your mind at least once in the last few weeks, given the upcoming General elections. The answer to this question doesn’t have to be a specific person right now, rather, a collection of traits and qualities that would be imperative for anyone to possess, for her to qualify for a leadership position in our highly dynamic and ever evolving world.
These are my thoughts on the necessary or required traits of a leader of today –
1. Vision – A leader who can be capable of affecting any sort of change must have a vision. A vision to make the lives of those around them better, in the case of a political leader, that would include the masses and classes alike.
A vision, by default, is a lens to the future; a future that most cannot even imagine, or sometimes, are too scared to believe could be real, even if they want and need it to be.
2. Courage – Defining a vision itself is a task that requires courage and intellect but to believe in it and make it possible, to work towards it with sheer perseverance and make other believe in it is an uphill battle that only the most courageous could fight. Is your leader courageous enough?
3. Compassion – We need a leader who has compassion and humility; who is capable of feeling the pulse of those they lead and then act to affect the greater good.
4. Integrity – Without a doubt, the biggest reason for the shroud of hopelessness around our political system today is the lack of trust in the leaders of today and hence, the system in totality. This lack of trust has been honed over a period of time, possibility since the inception of modern day politics. Moreover, the universal truth is that any system that doesn’t function with integrity at it’s base can never be successful or effective. Since a system is shaped by and made up of its leaders, it is crucial for the leaders to act with integrity and then set to eradicate any foul causing agents.
5. Strategy – Intellectual prowess and the ability to chart out a clear path to achieve their vision is a necessity for any effective leader.
To summarise, a great leader, in my opinion, has to be future-oriented and ahead of their time. She must possess unseen courage, she must have humility, she must be willing to persevere with a positive attitude and she must be a master of strategy.
Our world today needs leaders who can make us believe that a bright future is always a possibility for those who can defeat their self-doubts and are willing TO BE THE CHANGE TODAY TO SEE THE CHANGE TOMORROW.
Note: I have used “She” to address the leader above but the qualities and traits apply equally to all individuals and it is only for convenience that I have stuck to the female gender.
If you enjoyed this post and would like to connect with me on social media, below are my handles: